Super Mario Maker for the Wii U should be available in September, however, simplifying the in-game function has not been a priority in terms of news.
The 30th Anniversary Mario Amiibo will be available in both Classic 8-bit Mario and Modern 8-bit Mario. Their in-game function include:
- Add the famous Mario-stache to the enemies (I want stomp on a Mario–Goomba!).
- Add a Big Mushroom power-up for Mario in the game to thrash his way through the level.
So far, Amiibo from other series are compatible with the game. Simply scan the Amiibo on the game-pad and an 8-bit costume will be unlocked to use. To use this 8-bit costume, simply include the Mystery Mushroom in the level being designed and presto! Thus far 100 Amiibo are expected to be compatible with the game. Confirmed 8-bit characters such as Isabelle, Toad, Luigi, Wii Fit Trainer, Marth, Link, Peach, and many more, including unreleased Amiibo!
*This how the 8-bit character skins are expected to appear in the game
Click here to see the full list of compatible Amiibo for Super Mario Maker.
- Although simply scanning the Amiibo to unlock costumes is an option, keep in mind, the player may unlock these costumes in other methods. (Such as completing the 100 Mario Challenge.)
- Imagine if the 8-bit Marth can swing his Falchion or Kirby can suck in a Goomba and copy it’s ability? Unfortunately, this option isn’t available as these are just a re-skin for Mario.
- There is no word yet if the re-skin will be available in 3D or if this is even an option.